Yesterday we did something that we’ve been talking about for a week….We made PIZZA from scratch! And it was AMAZING! and not at all that difficult. The recipe is fairly simple but the pizza turns out absolutely DELICIOUS. We all (including my 3 year old) loved it so much and I want to share the recipe with you.
Just a few things to note – The pizza base ingredients produces 3 large pizza bases. The toppings are just a guideline but you are more than welcome to use the ones you prefer. I am refraining from putting measurements on the toppings because this is again based on how you like your pizza. E.g. If you like pizza with a lot of chicken, then you will use more chicken. The directions are exactly the same irrespective of the toppings you choose.
Now that, that is out of the way, here’s what you will need…
For the pizza base:
- 1 packet of Yeast
- 1 tbsp of Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup of warm Water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 & 1/2 cup Bread flour
For the topping (remember this is just to give you an idea):
- Chicken breast fillets or Sausage (or both :))
- Tomato paste – 70g
- Tomato sauce – 2 tbsp
- Peppers (green, red, and yellow)
- Mozzarella cheese
- Onion – optional
- Chilli – optional
- Avocado – optional
First things first:
- Cut your chicken breast fillets/sausages into little pieces and fry it in a lil bit of oil. This is just to give it a bit of colour and of course to cook it a little. Once you are done, put the chicken/sausage in a bowl and set it aside.
- Dice the mushrooms, peppers, onions – if using, and pineapple and set them each aside.
- Grate the cheese and also set it aside.
Now you are ready to get started:
- Preheat your oven to 230 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, add sugar, oil, and yeast together. Mix them up until you get a creamy look to the mixture. Set them aside for about 5 minutes.
- Mix the flour (you can sift it if you prefer) and the salt together and set aside.
- After 5 min, add the flour mixture to the yeast mixture and knead them together until well combined.
- Once all is combined, set it aside and start preparing your table to roll the dough. Lightly flour the table surface to make sure the dough doesn’t stick.
- Cut up the dough into 3 equal pieces and start rolling it using a rolling pin.
- Once you have a rolled your dough, you are now ready to dress it up.
Transfer the rolled pizza base onto a baking tray layered with baking sheet and a little flour – to make sure it doesn’t stick while baking. I just used my normal flat oven baking tray.
Dressing up the pizza base/dough:
- Mix the tomato sauce and tomato paste together and spread them evenly on the pizza base.
- Add the ingredients that you have chosen to use for your toppings – Peppers, chicken/sausage, mushrooms,pineaple.
- Then add a generous amount of cheese all over the pizza.
Take a ton of before pictures :). LOL…not mandatory but if you know me, then you know this was very much a must do step.
Then take your tray into the oven and bake your pizza for 15 to 20 minutes or until you get that nice golden brown color with melted cheese.
Once done, Take it out of the oven and let it cool for 5 min. If you don’t have a pizza cutter, don’t worry, we don’t have it either, we just used a normal kitchen knife. Cut your pizza into 8 even slices. Garnish with avocado for presentation – if you prefer and you are ready to serve your pizza. It went down really nice with a glass of nice chilled juice. You can serve with wine though if you prefer.
Have fun and Enjoy.